Level (Year) Four
This week we are adding (no pun intended!) a Level Four Addition unit to our iSURF collection.
The focus on addition at AusVELS Level Four is on equivalent number sentences, which also links in with Booker’s concepts of estimation, adding numbers mentally and calculator use.
This unit includes:
• On overview of the concepts and strategies relevant to the development of addition
• Key teaching points
• A Student Progress Record sheet
• Tasks to support the teaching of addition
• Resources to support the teaching of addition
• Identified assessment tasks to support a differentiated teaching approach
There is also room to include your favourite addition tasks and activities that are relevant to the strategies being taught or to practice the addition concept.
Strategies, Tasks and Problem Solving included:
• Review the strategies of adding 2 and 3 digit numbers
• Review the strategies of adding more than 2 numbers
• Understanding equivalent number sentences
• Using Thinkboards
• Understanding Estimation, Mental Computation and Calculator Use
• Problem solving using Estimation, Mental Computation and Calculator Use
We hope you enjoy our latest addition (pun intended this time!) and if there are any topics you would like to see us cover - please don't hesitate to let us know!